Posted by admin | Posted in Apply, Create, Interactive book, Language Arts, Middle/High School, Primary Elementary, Secondary Elementary, Teacher Resources, video, web tools, Web2.0, Websites | Posted on 11-10-2010
Tags: animation, collection, digital storytelling, Language Arts, prompt, resources, story, tools, video, writing
I am working on starting a virtual classroom…actually when it is all said and done, it will look more like a virtual club. I have opened up my virtual classroom to students in 3rd-8th grade. My first offering is going to be digital storytelling. In honor of that, I thought I would share the sites I am going to use with the students, as well as some other favorites for digital storytelling.
1. Google Search Stories Video Creator- This is a YouTube site that lets you create a digital story out of a series of Google Searches, you really have to check it out to get the full effect!
2. PicLits- This is an all time favorite of mine, PicLits lets students choose a picture and then draw from a word bank to create a sentence or story to accompany the picture.
3. Domo Animate- This is my favorite story animation tool. It gives students so much flexibility and freedom in telling their story, the results are amazing!
4. StoryBird- This site lets students create stories based on beautiful illustrations by real artists; better yet, it lets students create stories collaboratively!
5. Animoto- The free version of Animoto lets students create 30 second videos that combine images, songs, and text. It combines them all for an impressive presentation without a lot of fuss.
6. ZooBurst- ZooBurst is one that I haven’t used with students yet but I am excited to. ZooBurst is a new site that lets students create virtual 3D popup books. Even better, it lets students print out a special marker and view their popup book augmented reality style as it comes to life using a webcam!
I couldn’t fit in all of my favorite digital storytelling tools into a 5 week class, here are some more favorites:
8. Shidonni- One of my students very favorite websites of all time, this one gets requested a lot!
9. Smile Box
10. Kerpoof- another student favorite!
13. Voice Thread
16. ePub Bud- publish ebooks for ebook readers like the iPad
17. Virsona- a different kind of digital storytelling but neat none the less!
18. Zimmer Twins- one of my students very favorite ways to tell a story!
21. Nota- collaborative workspace
22. My Story Maker
24. Do Ink
Sites to get students writing:
27. Lightening Bug
29. The Story Starter Jr. -Created by my friend Joel Heffner!
30. The Story Starter- Also created by Joel!