I am working on starting a virtual classroom…actually when it is all said and done, it will look more like a virtual club. I have opened up my virtual classroom to students in 3rd-8th grade. My first offering is going to be digital storytelling. In honor of that, I thought I would share the sites I am going to use with the students, as well as some other favorites for digital storytelling.
1. Google Search Stories Video Creator– This is a YouTube site that lets you create a digital story out of a series of Google Searches, you really have to check it out to get the full effect!
2. PicLits– This is an all time favorite of mine, PicLits lets students choose a picture and then draw from a word bank to create a sentence or story to accompany the picture.
3. Domo Animate- This is my favorite story animation tool. It gives students so much flexibility and freedom in telling their story, the results are amazing!
4. StoryBird- This site lets students create stories based on beautiful illustrations by real artists; better yet, it lets students create stories collaboratively!
5. Animoto– The free version of Animoto lets students create 30 second videos that combine images, songs, and text. It combines them all for an impressive presentation without a lot of fuss.
6. ZooBurst- ZooBurst is one that I haven’t used with students yet but I am excited to. ZooBurst is a new site that lets students create virtual 3D popup books. Even better, it lets students print out a special marker and view their popup book augmented reality style as it comes to life using a webcam!
I couldn’t fit in all of my favorite digital storytelling tools into a 5 week class, here are some more favorites:
8. Shidonni– One of my students very favorite websites of all time, this one gets requested a lot!
9. Smile Box
10. Kerpoof– another student favorite!
13. Voice Thread
16. ePub Bud– publish ebooks for ebook readers like the iPad
17. Virsona– a different kind of digital storytelling but neat none the less!
18. Zimmer Twins– one of my students very favorite ways to tell a story!
21. Nota– collaborative workspace
22. My Story Maker
24. Do Ink
Sites to get students writing:
27. Lightening Bug
29. The Story Starter Jr. -Created by my friend Joel Heffner!
30. The Story Starter- Also created by Joel!